Math Equations

Sunday, March 9, 2014

How to install South Park: The Stick of Truth

It's been almost a week since this game was released, so I bet you've heard all about it already. In this guide I'll show you what I did to install it in Steam on Ubuntu using Wine.
  1. Install a new version of Wine. Open up a terminal and run the following:
    • sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    • sudo apt-get update
    • sudo apt-get install wine1.7
  2. Install Steam.
    • Download the installer.
    • Run it by right-clicking the file and choosing "Wine Windows Program Loader"
    • Follow the wizard.
  3. Install the game.
    • Purchase it through Steam.
    • Let Steam download it.

Fixing some problems

  • I got a (non-fatal) error saying something about the gnome-keyring. I fixed it by following the accepted answer at askubuntu.
  • The textures wouldn't load. For example, the main menu background didn't show South Park: The Stick of Truth, but rather a couple of pink squares floating around. Also, my character was red. I fixed this by installing newer graphics drivers for my Intel graphics card.
    • Follow the instructions at the Steam Support site
    • Update your system (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade)
    • Reboot your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment